Located in the very heart of Kenya's fabled Maasai Mara National Reserve, Keekorok, meaning abundance in the local Maasai language, was constructed in 1962 on a choice eighty acre site inside the reserve surrounded by an area of permanent springs and lush grassland, habitually teeming with wildlife (hence its given name), much favoured by the local community and hunters in the by-gone days.
Over 700 square miles of lush, sun-drenched plains encircle Keekorok Lodge, the oldest property in the Masai Mara Game Reserve in southwest Kenya. The lodge was opened in 1962 and is ideally situated in the direct path of the spectacular animal migration that occurs every year from July to October. Guests can experience unparalleled safari adventures, and morning and evening game drives are a must for anyone visiting the reserve.
Keekorok Lodge has everything possible; no matter who you are, Keekorok will help you feel at home. With the largest gift store in the game park, spacious grounds, countless activities, a sparkling pool, fantastic food and beverage options, and a rich history as the oldest lodge in the Maasai Mara, Keekorok is an unforgettable experience in the Maasai Mara.
10 single rooms and 74 twin rooms.
Room dcor: Accommodation at Keekorok is in bungalows, single storey blocks and in comfortable shaded chalets all en-suite. The liberal use of cedar, pink and gray sand river stone and other indigenous building materials off set the green lawns and colourful bougainvillea.
In- room amenities: Private en-suite bathrooms.
Special features: Bush Dinner - Set on the banks of the Mara river, a whole roast suckling pig and lamb are carved directly onto guests plates as fish, chicken, pork and sausages sizzle on a barbecue. A buffet of assorted salads, tropical fruit and deserts compliment this feast fit for a king. Maasai dancers entertain guests after dinner with their unique ululation and high jumping dances. The barbecue is only operable in fine weather. A bush breakfast can also be arranged.
Dining Room - This opens onto a verandah and guests can eat inside or out. From the high-pitched wooden ceiling hang hand-woven wool rugs and intricately beaded Masai necklaces adorn the Sand River stone walls.
Pool Bar - Open between 10.00am and 5.00pm. This bar serves snacks from a small menu between meals. Snacks cannot be taken in lieu of lunch in the main restaurant.
Hippo Bar - Sited at the end of the Keekorok Walkway overlooking a small dam , cocktails and fresh fruit juices are served daily from 10.00am - 12.30pm and 6.00pm - 8.00pm. After nightfall an armed escort must accompany guests to the bar.
Lounge Bar - This bar situated in the main lounge serves as a dispense bar for the dining room, verandah and lounge. It is open from 6.00am until when the last guest retires for the night.
- Bureau de Change - The cashier can exchange reasonable amounts of foreign currency.
- Children - Children are welcome at Keekorok. Most bedrooms are easily large enough to accommodate an extra bed. A childrens menu and early supper is available and security guards by listening out for pillow fights or a wakeful baby give parents the opportunity to enjoy a peaceful dinner.
- Communication - Keekorok has 24-hour telephone and fax service. A radio also allows for contact between Keekorok, incoming aircrafts and other Mara Camps and Lodges
- Shop - A shop is available for personal toiletries and souvenirs.
- Credit Cards - All major credit cards are accepted at Keekorok Lodge.
- Transportation - Air - scheduled services to Keekorok are available from Nairobis Wilson Airport. Flying time Nairobi/Keekorok is approximately 35 - 60 minutes depending on the aircraft used and the number of stops en route.
The Video Lounge can be pre-booked and as a quiet conference venue it has a capacity of 60 delegates cocktail style, 30 delegates theatre style and 20 delegates classroom style
- Swimming Pool - The crystal clear swimming pool, shaded by bougainvillea, has ample sun beds and mattresses available for guest use. The pool is closed in the evening.
- Video Lounge - Wildlife films are shown here every evening at 9.30pm.
- Lounge - Guests can relax in the cool lounge and adjoining shaded verandah. Board games are available from Reception.
- Hot Air Ballooning - For memories of a lifetime three hot air balloons make daily flights from Keekorok Lodge over the Maasai Mara. Piloted by a professional licensed pilot each ascent last about 45 minutes and is followed by a champagne breakfast wherever you land. In exceptionally windy or rainy weather the pilots reserve the right to cancel fights-guests are given a full refund or offered, space permitting, a flight on another day. Children under 6 years are not permitted to fly.
- Game Drives - Vehicles can be booked for game drives through Block Hotels head office or directly at Keekorok.
- Maasai Dancing - On alternate evenings a troupe of Maasai Morans entertain guests for approximately 30 minutes. Lectures on Masai traditions and culture are given daily.