Samburu Game Lodge is situated in the sun baked landscape of Samburu Game Reserve with surrounding mountains shimmering on the horizon as temperatures rise. To the west of Samburu Lodge, the sheer sided slopes of majestic Ol Olokwe Mountain form a perfect backdrop to any photograph.
The Uaso Nyiro River (Brown river in the local Samburu language) winds through mature stands of Newtonia and Sycamore Fig trees, Acacia and Doum Palms. Samburu Lodge is beautifully situated in 10 acres of pristine riverine forest on the western bank of the Uaso Nyiro River. Samburu Safari Lodge was opened in July 13, 1963.
Samburu Lodge offers a wide choice of accommodation with a mixture of decor styles spread up and down the banks of the river in cottages, bandas and single or twin rooms. All 61 rooms have large beds with mosquito nets and en-suite bathrooms and verandas overlooking the river.
There are also several family rooms and one room has been custom designed to accommodate the special needs of physically challenged persons.
Facing the river, the open sided Samburu Lodge dining room called Lorokushu Restaurant, designed in distinct African style with high thatched roof, allows you to overlook the river as you enjoy mouth watering cuisine prepared by the team of chefs. As meals are served here a Samburu flute player entertains you with his distinctive tunes.
The famous Samburu Lodge Crocodile Bar is on the level of the river bank to allow you to look crocodiles in the eye as you sip your sundowners. Towards sunset each day, bait is put out to attract crocodiles to within feet of watchers, but in conditions of perfect safety.
- Camel rides
- Guided bird watching
- Sparkling swimming pool
- Early morning game drives
- Traditional Samburu dances
- Raft trips when the river is high
- Walking safaris with skilled Samburu guides
- Night Wildlife Viewing - Every night, a number of crocodiles climb up the river bank to the edge of the crocodile bar and feast on food left out for them
- On a good night, guests may also see the secretive, solitary and nocturnal leopard silently arrive to the fresh meat bait put out on a tree across the river