The Aberdare Country Club, only a two and a half hour drive northeast from Nairobi, is nestled on a slope of Mweiga Hill in the Aberdare Highlands, part of the Great Rift Valley. This captivating site was the homestead of an English couple that decided to settle in Kenya. Almost a half century later, their home, "The Steep", was renamed the Aberdare Country Club and opened for guests. Considered a heritage property in Kenya, The Aberdare Country Club has retained the charm of a private home with the simple comforts of a country inn.
In 1884, Scottish Geologist and Explorer, Joseph Thomson, discovered the Aberdare Ranges, called the "Nyandarua Ranges" by the local people. He also discovered the falls at the end of the Aberdare National Park and the falls were named after him him. In 1951, the 300 square mile Aberdare Range was officially made into a National Park and is one of Kenya's major watersheds, supplying Nairobi's water. It is a water catchment area as it is an undestroyed virgin forest and most of the rivers in Kenya start from the Aberdare National Park. It is the source of water that services the Kenyan capital, Nairobi. Built within it's own 1300 acre wildlife sanctuary on the slopes of Kamatongu Hill in Mweiga, Nyeri, the Aberdare Country Club is an ideal getaway destination in a beautiful setting. Our staff is very hospitable and will do all they can to make your stay memorable.
The sanctuary abounds with Zebra, Giraffe, Impala, Warthog, Duikers and the more elusive Leopard. It is a home to many species of East African birds.
All rooms are Cottages and have spectacular views to the North, over looking the Solio Game Sanctuary the home of the black and white rhinos. The Aberdare Mountains to the west and Mount Kenya to the East provide a stunning backdrop to the beautiful ACC grounds.
Number of Rooms:
- Total of 48 en-suite rooms: categorised as below:
- 20 double-bedded and 28 twin-bedded.
- 38 of these in 2 bedroom cottages with interconnecting doors.
- 41 rooms have a fire-place (Exceptions are rooms 1,3,4,16 and 17).
- 03 rooms can be converted to triples. 9 extra beds available.
- Honeysuckle Cottage: Two doubles plus an extra single room.
Cottages set to the left and right behind the main building, each with charming stonework exterior over which colourful vines climb; with each room having a balcony overlooking either Mt. Kenya or the lovely woodland where animals are often seeing grazing. Rooms 28 and 29 overlook Mt. Kenya.
Each room furnished with bedside tables, dressing tables, built-in wardrobes, rugs, coffee tables ands lounge chairs, telephone, water flasks and drinking glasses, umbrella and bible, kettle and one-cup sachets of coffee, tea, milk and sugar, 115/240 v shaving socket, shower stall, separate bath-tub, wash basin and flush toilets, shampoo, bath and shampoo gel, freshly laundered towels, hot and cold running water.
The Clubs Wildlife Sanctuary that extends over a thousand acres with abundant wildlife and birdlife. Guided nature walks and rides available at the Club. 9- Hole Golf Course rather steep and often a host to a family of Olive baboons.
- Dining room with a capacity of 220 and has five sections; three indoors with fireplaces, two terraces that can host 50 and 16.
- Gura Bar located in the main building next to the dining room, has two fireplaces and comfortable leather settees with a capacity of 60.
- Swimming Pool Bar set on a raised platform with high stools around the geometric bar with a great view of the game sanctuary and with unlimited capacity.
- Room service is NOT available.
- Access for the physically disabled
- Babysitters and Ayah accommodation available on request
- Bureau De Change and use of Credit Cards:
- Telephones in rooms and fax services available
- Laundry and shoe cleaning services
- Lunch Boxes available on request
- Mains Electricity 220-240 V and generator
- Medical Facilities
- Safe-Keeping Facilities
- Gift Shop
Full range of AV and communication equipment available - (some at a nominal fee).
Three Conferences rooms are:The Aberdare Room
- Capacity 80 theatre style. Has plenty of light during the day due to the large windows with a view of Mt. Kenya. Has a small adjoining room ideal for secretarial services and a patio ideal for tea breaks.
The Kinangop Room
- Capacity 80 theatre style. Set in a secluded corner of the front lawns with the entrance to the conference room being on a pleasant garden patio. Has a fireplace and washroom. It is ideal for children games/videos.
The Satima Room
- Capacity 30 theatre style. Has fireplace and adjoining washroom.
- Board Games rooms
- 09-Hole Golf Course
- Horse Riding and game rides
- Putting Green
- Satima Room Videos
- Swimming Pool
- 2 Tennis Courts
- Trout Fishing
- Fishing Safaris (Full Day)
- Aberdare Salient half day and full day
- Nature Walks and Game Rides
- Gliding at Mweiga Airstrip
- Night Game Drives
- Sanctuary Walks (Guided or on own)
- Solio Ranch (Half-Day)
- Sweetwaters Chimp and game Sanctuary