Why the single visa?
The East Africa Tourist Visa will allow travel between Kenya, Rwanda and Uganda with the same multiple entry visa. This visa is the result of a joint initiative made by the Heads of States of the respective partner countries to boost regional travel and create opportunities for tourists to explore the diversity of East Africa.
Who is eligible?
A foreigner who wants to visit simultaneously the Republic of Kenya, Republic of Rwanda and Republic of Uganda for tourism. The visa will be issued at any of the diplomatic representations of Kenya, Uganda and Rwanda, at the immigration offices of the respective countries or on line where applicable.
Type of visa: An East Africa Tourist Visa is multiple entry visa and shall be valid for 90 days.
How to Apply:
Applications for this visa shall be lodged at any of the diplomatic representation of the Republic of Kenya, Republic of Rwanda and Republic of Uganda, at the Immigration Offices of the respective countries or online where applicable.
- Rwanda - For those beginning their trip in Rwanda, you can apply through the Rwanda Online Visa Application System. Under "Type of Visa" select "East Africa Tourist Visa." For more information contact your local Rwanda embassy.
- Kenya - For those beginning their trip in Kenya, you can find information on the visa application process on the consular section of your local Kenya embassy's website.
- Uganda - For those beginning their trip in Uganda, you can find information on the visa application process on the consular section of your local Uganda embassy's website.
Dependents: All persons must apply in their own right.
Travel document: Any genuine acceptable travel document valid not less than 6 months.
Visa Fees: 100 USD
Previously, the tourist visa fees for the different countries were as follows:
- Kenya: - Visa Fee - $35.00 (Multiple Entry) equivalent is $50
- Visa Fee - $35.00 (Multiple Entry) equivalent is $50
- Visa Fee - $20.00 (Single Entry)
- Visa Fee - $40.00 (Multiple Entry -V-1(m)/Transit visa)
- Visa Fee - $65.00 (Group Tourism, 6 to10 people travelling together that intend to enter and exit on same date)
- Correct visa fee ($35 for single entry visa & $80 for six-month multiple entry visa)
- Validity of Visa: 90 days
- Single or Multiple Entry: Multiple entry
The holder of the East Africa Tourist Visa shall enter from the country that issued the visa and move within the two other countries without applying for another visa or paying for another visa fee.
The holder shall also be allowed to move out of the Republic of Kenya, Republic of Rwanda and Republic of Uganda; and return without having to pay for another visa. This will only be applicable in the period of 90 days.
Visas issued for specific countries can only be used for that particular country
Work or No Work: Work is not permitted
Visa Extension: An East Africa Tourist Visa shall not be extended.
1. One clear colored passport size photo with white background recently taken without glasses, caps and scurf; (the photo should be attached to the application form by use of glue stick. Stapling and clipping the photo to the application form is not advisable).
2. A complete filled application form
3. Visa application letter addressed to the issuing authority of the concerned country
The countries will be able to market themselves as a single tourist destination
Partner states will use same logo at joint stands in international travel trade fairs e.g. ITB
A shared web portal will be able to give info on all countries
A special consideration has been given to expatriates residing in Kenya, Rwanda and Uganda. They can obtain the East Africa Tourist Visa at $100 and it's valid for 6 months.
In addition to the requirements listed above for the East Africa Tourist Visa, the expatriates will require a valid residents/ work permit.